Thursday, 21 October 2010

I thought I was an optimist

I thought I was an optimist, but it seems that for the most part, yesterday's CSR is being welcomed by scientists. Once again the question remains of how STFC will fare from this, but it seems that my usual optimism had a little trip up yesterday. I'd have to say it didn't trip without a good reason. In fact, if I were more skeptical than I am, I might even think - as a friend suggested to me yesterday - that we'd been expectation managed. Our outcome seems "less bad" because we were told to "prepare for the worst". Just a thought.

Anyway, I'm back to trying to study for my DPhil viva, writing a lecture for the graduate accelerator physics course and writing a plenary talk for a workshop in Japan next week. Looking forward to some great Japanese food - not looking forward to the long haul flight. I just hope I recover in time to face my viva shortly after I get back!

5 comments:

  1. By plenary you mean a 15 mintues simultaneous chat (one among 1000)? It is easy to check in the conference programme you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, by 'plenary' I mean a 30min plenary talk. Why would I say otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to have to remove comments that I feel are inappropriate. If anyone wants to take up an issue, please contact me directly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're absolutely right about expectation management. But the fact remains that science hasn't been hit as hard as other things. Obviously we need to make sure that people understand a 'freeze' is a 8-9% cut in real terms.

    ReplyDelete