Tuesday, 1 March 2011

I'm a Scientist - Get Me Out of Here!

Take a few scientists, a massive group of school kids and an internet forum X-factor style competition. What do you get? The "I'm a Scientist" competition. I'm one of five scientists in this year's "Space Zone" and you can check out my competitors here.

There will be a bit of a takeover of my blog of my thoughts and impressions of the competition. So far, all I can say is I think its going to be tough. Now, as an Aussie I'm pretty competitive, but actually I don't need to win this one, because I think some of the others might appreciate the prize money (£500 towards outreach) more that I will. That said, I can unashamedly say: vote for me! 

What I'd like to get out of the competition is a consensus from the school students as to what they want from scientists like me. Do they want me to visit them at school? Do they want me to write a blog? Do they want me to leave them alone to get on with their exams!? I hope some of their questions will point me in the right direction, but I'm really looking forward to the live chats to do some 2-way science communication.

In the meantime I better get as much research done as I can, because from 14-25th March this thing might just take over my life!

You can follow the progress on Twitter with the #IAS2011 hashtag, or follow me at @suziesheehy.

No comments:

Post a Comment