Friday, 16 May 2014

How to use a negative experience of harassment to make a positive change

Over the years I have experienced my fair share of harassment, particularly at conferences. I wrote about this some time ago when I was thinking about conference anti-harassment policies and discovered a bunch of great resources online.

This process gave me the chance to think about how these experiences have affected me and other women I know in my field, in terms of how we think about our careers, how we approach networking and our levels of interaction at conferences. I heard stories of women avoiding conferences altogether, or having their careers damaged thanks to improper handling of cases of harassment.

I wanted to use my own negative experiences to affect real, positive change.

The issue of how to implement such a policy is to an extent a 'solved problem' so I wanted to implement the solution in my own field, in order to prevent others in my field experiencing the levels of harassment that I have. I also wanted this to happen so that they know what action to take if they do experience harassment, and what they can expect the outcome to be for the perpetrator.

Today I discovered that the major conference in my field, whose chair I contacted about this issue, subsequently took action. I did chase it up a little over the last six months, but I more-or-less left it in their hands to discuss and see if they agreed that a policy was a good idea.

In discussions with other colleagues I realised that for some people the prevalence of harassment would simply not be believed unless I shared some of my experiences. Some people will be surprised by this, but simply telling a person who has never experienced harassment that it "happens all the time" will not change their view about it one iota. So after seeking out the support and encouragement of my twitter network of amazing women in science, I did share some of my experiences in order to get my point across. As hard as it was to speak up about this, I believed it was important in order to make change happen.

I'll never know how the discussion evolved, but there was a positive outcome. I'm very pleased to say that there is now a public anti-harassment policy on the conference website.

This is a small step in the right direction, but I think it is a significant one. Going onto the GeekFeminism Wiki about anti-harassment and being able to add the name of this conference to the list of those which have adopted a policy felt fantastic.

Making the field of research a better, more welcoming and happier place for all the people working in it is hugely important to me. This is my small success story. By documenting it here on this blog I hope it will serve as a positive example to others.

In the words of one (male) supporter who has been involved in this "let's keep this going!"


No comments:

Post a Comment